Link Cell to page in Excel
Downloading photos from shutterfly
Currently, we do not offer full-resolution downloading. However, we do have two methods by which you can get digital copies of photos: Share Site Downloading and the Shutterfly mobile app…
Large Photo Library
1/2/17 question to Apple Community: I need advice on how to manage a large photo collection. I have over 40,000 photos. They are on icloud (and optimized) but on on my smaller iPad they are taking up so much room the iPad won't function. So I had to disconnect that device from icloud.
iTunes Match and Apple Music
See: www.imore.com - imore.com/apple-music-vs-itunes-match-whats-difference
- Apple Music: $9.99 (or $14.99 for family) music streaming. Access to music in Apple's world
- iTunes Match ($24.99 year): activating and maintaining your iCloud Music Library across all of your devices
Do You Need Both?
Starting in 2016, nope: Apple Music essentially includes the iTunes Match service inside its subscription fee.
Repair Disk Permissions
Managing 40,000 + photos
I am exploring two possible solutions to manage my 40,000+ photo library. I am completely synched with 1T of iCloud, but my smallest ipad is screaming about not having any storage (yes, even with photos optimized). So I think I have to remove some of my photos from iCloud. I am looking at: 1. Setting up a separate photo library on my Mac and putting most of my older photos there; and/or 2. storing a lot of photos on Amazon Prime photos. I am now doing a lot of reading to figure out which option will allow me to access all of my photos easily.
How to set up a separate Apple Photo Library: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204414
Fixing WiFi access
- Server settings for popular email providers: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KB5892
- Set up icloud manually: http://www.macworld.com/article/1167039/web-apps/manually-configuring-an-icloud-email-account.html
- Tried again; does not work: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202304
- More, but have not tried: http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/28/fix-mail-smtp-sending-errors-os-x-mac/
- Improving speed of backup: https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Troubleshooting/Speeding_Up_Your_Backup
Force eject a cd https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3861923?tstart=0
Finder Window is not displaying.
Can’t Access Finder? Fix it from Terminal in OS X
If Finder is completely unresponsive, inaccessible, or frustrating to use, turning to the command line of OS X can also get the job done. Launch Terminal app from Spotlight or /Applications/Utilities/, and use the following command exactly:
mv ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist ~/Desktop/
Hit return to execute the command. All this does is move the Finder plist file to the users desktop, you can use the rm command if you want instead, we’re sticking with mv because it’s safer for general users.
Again, you’ll want to reboot the Mac for changes to take effect. Apple menu > Restart, or reboot from the command line of OS X with the following:
sudo shutdown -r now "Restarting Now"
Once the Mac has finished rebooting, you’ll want to set any Finder customizations again. Finder should be working as usual at this point, so you can trash the com.apple.finder.plist file that is sitting on the desktop if you haven’t done so yet.
DID NOT WORK. HAVE TO RESEARCH MORE. WELL, YES IT DID: ALL THE FINDER WINDOWS WERE ON THE COMPUTER, NOT ON THE EXTERNAL MONITOR. DUH.
Oh, and maybe Firevault is turned on and eating memory. If I ever get the Finder window to display again:
I came back from the Genius bar and my problem was fixed. They figured out that during the update process the “FireVault” is turned on in order to secure all the files to prevent it from being hacked. If firevault is not turned off, all files remain encrypted which takes a lot of computing power. To turn off firevault, after the update is installed click:
1) System Preferences
2) Security and Privacy
4) Turn off Firevault
This should be it..
LibreOffice (with database)
Sending email problem
Since I cleaned up PowerBook pro, I cannot send email from either gmail or me.com
Sorry, was in a bit of a hurry when I typed up the OP.
These are the settings that the iCloud control panel has set by default:
email address: My @me email address
Account type: IMAP
Incoming mail server: p04-imap.mail.me.com
outgoing mail server: p04-smtp.mail.me.com
User name: My email address without @me.com
Incoming server: Port 993 using SSL
Outgoing server: Port 587 using TLS
Server timeout: 1 minute
Hopefully this is enough for now.
Enter the account manually. use these settings
SMTP information for the outgoing mail server
Server name: smtp.mail.me.com
SSL Required: Yes
If you receive errors when using SSL, try using TLS or STARTTLS instead.
SMTP Authentication Required: Yes
Username: Your full iCloud email address (for example, moc.duolci|rekrapylime#moc.duolci|rekrapylime, not emilyparker)
Password: Your iCloud password
IMAP information for the incoming mail server
Server name: imap.mail.me.com
SSL Required: Yes
If you receive errors when using SSL, try using TLS instead.
Username: The name part of your iCloud email address (for example, emilyparker, not moc.duolci|rekrapylime#moc.duolci|rekrapylime)
Password: Your iCloud password
Note that the logon for the IMAP server is different than it is for the SMTP server
Scansnap to Yosemite photo issue
Scansnap does not recognize Yosemite photo (only iPhoto which went away). So I can't scan photos to my photo app any more. Still working on this problem.
Software download from scansnap not current with Yosemite so not sure I would benefit from using it: http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/scansnap/software/s1500m-setup.html
contact fujitsu: http://www.fujitsu.com/us/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/contact/
Session with Apple Support June 11, 2015
- Adwords removal (getting rid of backdoors) http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php
- Remove unused apps
- Clear Cache, clean up preferences. There were more in those areas of cleanup. Went through all of them and either removed all of them or selectively removed any unused stuff
- Put computer in restore mode: hold command-r just after I restart. Wait for apple logo to show up. Then take hands off keys.
- then use disk utility to restore disk and restore permissions. I got as far as analyze and restore disk and analyze permissions but the app was frozen and I could not restore permissions. I had to force restart by holding down the power key.
- Computer is working way better!!! But preferences quit on me…so there are still problems.
- David, the tech guy, thinks the next step is reinstall everything.
Some possible culprits
- Quitting Creative Cloude https://forums.adobe.com/message/5457368 (It quits on me all the time. Why)
- General discussion including bad mail: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6726329
- Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
Flash Player Install Issues
- How to convert a URL in a spreadsheet to an active link: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2595692/how-do-i-convert-a-column-of-text-urls-into-active-hyperlinks-in-excel
Go to Apple () > System Preferences > iCloud.
Select the checkbox for Photos (or Photo Stream).
Click the Options button and make sure that My Photo Stream is selected.
Open the app that you want to use with Photo Stream (iPhoto or Aperture) and make sure that My Photo Stream is turned on in that app.
iCloud: My Photo Stream FAQ - Apple Support
- Can't trash items on desktop "macos 10.6.8 can't trash items on desktop" - because desktop was locked. I looked up "get Info" and saw it was locked. I unlocked and was able to throw things in trash.
- Can't get mail to work
- HP 7610 won't scan to computer http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Mac-Printing-and-Scanning/HP-OfficeJet-8620-Scan-to-Network-Folder-No-Longer-Works/m-p/4635178/highlight/true#M53645 AND http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02007076&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en
More on why is my Mac Slow?
Error message (posted in my computer book:
Back to My Mac may be slow because NAT Port Mapping (NAT-PMP) or Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is turned off on your router.
Turn on NAT-PMP or UPnP. See the information that came with your router for instructions.
Printing large documents from Adobe Reader: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/X/pro/using/WS58a04a822e3e50102bd615109794195ff-7bd5.w.html
Changing Credit card number in Quicken
My card was compromised so they gave me a new number. The account is the same and still has all my information so I would like to just change the associated credit card number.
You will need to deactivate One Step Update for the account, change the card information and reactivate OSU.
Go to the Account List (Ctrl+A or Tools menu)
Edit the account
On the Online Services tab of the Account Detail window, deactivate OSU
On the General tab, change the account information
On the Online Services tab, reactivate OSU
If the question comes up about "adding", be sure to change it to "link" and select the existing account.
Repairing mac mini
Mac Running Slow
Mac Mail Slow
Can't get iPhotos showing in screensaver
What is Aperture?
Setting emoticons on iphone
iMac SMC and PRAM reset
Level 8 Level 8 (40,270 points)
VERSION 1 Published
Last Modified: May 13, 2012 8:59 PM
Shut down the computer.
Unplug the computer's power cord and ALL peripherals.
Wait 15 seconds.
Attach the computers power cable.
Wait another 5 seconds and press the power button to turn on the computer.
Shut down the computer.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.